Outstanding Researcher or Professor (EB-1B)


Fermi Research Alliance (FRA) may sponsor qualified employees for permanent residence as a researcher who is recognized internationally as outstanding in an academic field. Labor Certification is never required.

The petition must be accompanied by an offer of employment for a tenure-track or “permanent” job involving research, with a U.S. university or institution of higher learning, or a private organization that has documented accomplishments in research.

In addition, the individual must show that s/he has at least 3 years of experience in teaching or researching in the field of specialty.


Examples of documentary evidence that can be submitted with an Outstanding Professor Or Researcher I-140 petition include:

  • Evidence of receipt of major prizes or awards for outstanding achievement
  • Evidence of membership in associations that require their members to demonstrate outstanding achievement
  • Evidence of published material in professional publications written by others about the alien’s work in the academic field
  • Evidence of participation, either on a panel or individually, as a judge of the work of others in the same or allied academic field
  • Evidence of original scientific or scholarly research contributions in the field
  • Evidence of authorship of scholarly books or articles (in scholarly journals with international circulation) in the field

You must include documentation of at least two points listed above and an offer of employment from Fermilab.

You also will need the certain letters. Please do not begin collecting letters until you have met with the Visa Office:

  • Letters confirming that you are known to be “outstanding” in your field in the U.S. or internationally.
  • Letters confirming that you have at least 3 years of experience in teaching and/or research in your field.


Questions? Comments? Contact the Visa Office!