The REAL ID Act is a U.S. federal law that includes requirements for accessing certain Federal facilities, including non-public areas of Fermilab. The details below are important and should be reviewed closely.
Fermilab REAL ID implementation
Fermilab has established a process to implement REAL ID by July 1, 2021, in compliance with the Act. Access to public areas will remain unchanged. Fermilab will be validating REAL ID-compliance of all Fermilab badge holders. Beginning July 1, 2021, access to non-public areas will be allowed only to Fermilab badged personnel. People without Fermilab badges will not be authorized to access non-public areas.
|View a list of Real ID documents and examples of Real IDs here.|
What Employees need to do
- Employees hired after January 1, 1987 have REAL ID compliant information on file which will be used as REAL ID verification by Fermilab. If information is missing, you will be contacted by WDRS. Otherwise, no action is needed regarding badging.
- Employees hired at Fermilab prior to January 1, 1987 will need to have a REAL ID-compliant form of identification validated by Fermilab by June 30, 2021. WDRS will be contacting you directly in March to provide specific instructions.
What Users, Subcontractors, Authorized Guests, Scientist Emeritus and Retired Guests need to do
All users, subcontractors, authorized guests, scientist emeritus and retired guests requesting physical access to non-public areas of the Batavia or South Dakota sites must submit a document to the Users Office (for users) or Badging Office (for subcontractors, authorized guests, scientist emeritus and retired guests) that is REAL ID-compliant as part of the badging process, as follows:
- Fermilab users, subcontractors, authorized guests, scientist emeritus and retired guests who have provided a passport to obtain a badge will not need to do anything different regarding badging.
- Beginning April 1, 2021, people who are holding a badge that expires after September 30, 2021, and have NOT provided a passport or other REAL ID-compliant form of identification will be notified and will need to present a REAL ID-compliant form of identification to the Users or Badging Office by June 30, 2021. Notices will be sent our from April to June 2021.
- For all badge renewals, beginning on April 1, 2021, people requesting a new badge or renewing an expiring badge must provide a REAL ID-compliant form of identification, which includes a U.S. or foreign passport.
- Badge validity will be granted through the requested period only if a REAL ID-compliant form of identification is provided during the badging process. If a REAL ID-compliant form of identification is not provided, the validity of the badge will be through June 30, 2021.
Frequently asked questions
If you have questions you want added to this page, please send an email.